Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andrew's Swing Journal

Well, I've been working on a little of everything and as usual, I can't stay focused on one task.

While playing the other day I noticed a link between squatting down while my left wrist begins to fully cock. It gave me that change of direction with my hips while my torso felt like it was staying behind. A kind of lateral bend feeling. I then went to the range and filmed my swing at full speed for the first time. I really hate it. Slow motion was deceiving to me and I didn't get a true grasp of what I was doing. Now that I see my swing in full motion I realize how far away I am from the ultimate goal. I've always been told that I swing too hard or too jerky but on camera in real time I can see how silly it looks.

I can't narrow down each problem to a root cause but my hit instinct is alive and well and I really need to solve that problem.

The things that I'm frustrated with after seeing it:

-My very early loss of lag
    -My left leg is firing way too hard and my right leg isn't maintaining any external rotation.
    -My left side seems to double fire after impact and I still have that goofy "duck" move look through the follow through
    -Tempo is way too quick
    -The quick follow through of my torso after the ball is struck seems very "over the top" to me.
    -I'm laying off the club is my first move in the takeaway again. (Supination of my right forearm)

That's all... I have no idea what to start with but here we go again.

looks better to me. i like your shoulder turn....but your probably just going to need to discover the right feeling for how the arms work on your own. still looks a bit off.... and your arms are still behind. big move your missing is LPT.... i will make you another video. i dont like my last one lol..... its a good time for me to make one....because i sort of lost my swing the past 3 weeks....and am just now getting it back. its almost like i had to do a shortened version of figuring out all the moves....all over again.

After watching and rewatching my last youtube post I realized how far away I am. Been looking at Kurt's swing journal and am in total admiration of his leg moves. After that I started watching some of Lucas' before and afters which also seems to motivate you tremendously! I've since read over Kelvin's 3 grip articles and I've read his 3 lag articles also. I've also watched his lag youtube video a couple of more times. It amazes me how every time I feel something or need something it's already been written about and thoroughly discussed on either aroundhawaii or jeffygolf. And every time you re-read the articles you pick up on something new. Anyhow, his lag articles really got me back on track as far as contact and may have found me a little bit of that connection that I've been looking for. His drill he writes about in his 2nd lag article about the Dustin Johnson feel of the pull all the way through your left lat to the wrists was kind of an aha moment. After watching JS and DJ over and over I can see how confused I was about the upper body in the downswing. In my practice down below you can see how I am, as usual, overdoing it. But it really gives me the feel I'm looking for. I'm beyond happy with that little bit of progress. It's going to take quite a bit to implement that into a full speed swing but I think I'm on the right track.

Sorry for the frequent posts everybody... I'm kind of using this like my goto handwritten journal these days. Helps me remember the things I'm working on...And I'm getting more excited by the day about the progress this whole process is giving me!

I was just in the backyard trying to figure out why I seem to "lose" my swing mid-round. Yesterday I played 5 over through 9 and finished 18 total overall. The big numbers were put up from all the chili dipped around the green chips. Only 3 tee shots went errant on me. Contact was pure almost all day and a score of 90 for me from the blues is an accomplishment these days. Worst part, I feel like I left 8-10 shots out there that were very silly mistakes.

Back to what I was working on. I'm a big fan of hearing about all the "stretch-shorten" cycles that are occurring throughout the swing. The big disconnect I've had is from the proper firing of my hips/legs and the connection with my torso, and more importantly, my left Lat stretch through impact. I just can't feel the muscles stretching and the legs firing. It just sort of happens kind of "willy nilly." While thinking about it, I really wondered what muscle was shortening through impact since the left lat is stretching. I can't exactly "fire" my left lat into a stretch. So thinking about it while hitting my pitch shots, the left glute should be the muscle that contracts (shortens) to start the downswing. Conversely it should be stretching to start the stretch-shorten cycle in the takeaway/backswing. For me to feel that stretch cycle, I really need to pull my left knee into IR towards the top of my backswing or else I won't feel any of the stretch and it makes it harder to fire at the transition. So, what I was doing is really stretching my left glute in the takeaway by over-exaggerating the left knee inward bend. From there, instead of spinning my hips, I just started contracting (shortening) my left glute. It really kept me connected and led me to the ball. After hitting about 100 or so pitches like that, I began to realize that I needed the exact same firing process for my takeaway. What this entailed was an immediate contraction of my right glute to start the takeaway. This kind of gives you a backstop to swing back to without making you sway. Almost like the marching move I suppose. For me, these two glute firings or stretch/shorten cycles give me that A-frame of stability through both parts of the swing. I'm guessing this has already been discussed thoroughly by Kelvin but somehow it hasn't translated for me until today in the swing.

The best part seems to be those short "precise" around the green chips and pitches that I've always struggled to not move all over the place on. The glutes keep me dead still over the ball. I imagine I'm overdoing it but so far every time I've done this excessive muscle training it has really just naturally transferred to my game without a conscious effort.

Of all the drills the golfing world has prescribed, it's always been very difficult for me to find the rhythm of the ben hogan drill where he is swinging back and forth by just rotating his hips. There's a youtube video of him doing it on a tv show. Just alternating between right glute and left glute really gave me that rhythm.

right glute, left glute, right glute, left glute. Ha. Hope it's the right step for me... The downside so far, is it puts me into IR too early still with my right leg. I'm sure some more reading and practicing will get me into ER soon at the transition.

Makes me think more about the knee hike in baseball pitching also. As discussed on jeffy recently, the knee hike these days is viewed as an unnecessary style move. Well, if we're talking stretch-shorten, maybe they're just so limber that they really have to hike that knee up and around to get that glute to stretch so they can fire it with all their might.

i told you that you needed an "aha" moment. i have been through all that. i need to figure a way to convey it to others. by the way, this relates to the "chest drive" i talked about. just be careful not to only drive against the left arm with the right arm behind. both shoulders need to be turned away fully with the left arm across and the right elbow also "loaded".....so that essentially when you pull against the chest...your not just feeling your left arm being driven....with the right arm behind....that would prolly be over the top...... but you feel the chest push against the left and right arm, driving them both forward from the inside.

word to the wise....get the hips right in the backswing....as well as the way they are synced with the shoulders and arms....or else you cant make the right downswing moves with the hips.....

but yeah....its definitely the lat stretch and pull that is a HUGE part of the entire equation. and it gives you that connection. that tension and stability you need.

do you still have to re login every few minutes?

you have the right idea by the way.....but are you aware that your left loading like gainey and palmer sort of? ....thats why you follow through the way that you do. i understand it, because i have swings like that too. its really tough how to figure out how to properly right load.... my tendency is also to do it the way you do it as well. it doesnt seem natural at first. i dont believe you can get as much power from left loading. we dont have a lot of evidence. palmer hit it far. gainey is average. but i think right loading is the only way i can hit it 320-330 yards. im just so-so left loaded.

Definitely aware of some major problems grant. I've yet to go to the range with this new feeling, but I really think it'll be major for me. Also, after posting yesterday I've been swinging and chipping and pitching non-stop. I've got another huge feeling that really gives me effortless pure contact. I chili - dip the worst ever. It's beyond frustrating. The fix for it seems so amateur, but somehow I've never noticed it until now. So... A first time golfer will always pick up the club with their biceps. Then with contracted biceps, with the club resting on their right shoulder, they lunge at the ball with extension of their right arm and lunge of their right shoulder and hip. Well, we all are well aware that the right arm should be at a very acute angle through the downswing and the bicep is contracting instead of extending. So, to activate the proper stretch shorten cycle, I'm really extending my right arm in the takeaway onto my straight left arm like a backstop. At the top of the backswing, with all that stretching built into my right bicep, I just contract (shorten) my left glute. The stretch you have in that bicep snaps into a contraction, folding your right arm in front of your right hip and the club head follow it's prescribed arc like butter.

The chain reaction is huge. Imagine doing a bicep curl with substantial weight. Your right shoulder automatically goes into external rotation. Which is the ultimate goal. Now, have somebody hold your right hand while you try to pull it towards your own face. The moment they release, your hand will snap into your face. That's kind of exactly what happens at the ball. Your left arm is holding your right arm into that stretch in the backswing. The left glute firing seems to release that stored energy and "thwack" the ball is gone. I should video it. Feels so freaking good.

I definitely don't have to re - log in ever. I've been logged in on this forum on my cell phone, ipad, work computer, and home computer, and have never been kicked off yet. I'd check your privacy settings. Maybe your in a private browsing mode or some sort of cache clearing mode. No clue on that one.

Lloyd Higley Guest
    Got a DTL view ?

what???? andrew.... i thought you were the one who told me that you had to re type a really long message to me because it logged you out????

ive had 3 other people tell me the same thing too.

ive done it on 3 different computers. one at my friends house. and my cell phone. same on all of them. along with other people on this forum ive talked to

It was a private message; I hit send but I lost my Internet connection or something weird and glitchy happened and the message was lost. I think it was because it was from my phone or something. Can't remember.

Hello Jeffygolf world.... I kind of feel like I met a great girl, dated for a while, and then stopped talking to her without an explanation for a long while! Ha.

Well, I've been at it pretty hard for nearly the entire time and I've really changed my thought process completely. Unfortunately I come with no video updates or GIFs or stills. I feel like each change for me has become, well, kind of cartoony... I exaggerate the moves to feel them and I imagine it is quite contorted appearing. As my progress continues I believe this will tighten up and I'll try to get at least a couple slow motion swings posted soon.

I've done quite a bit, starting with a week long visit and a very fortunate/generous visit to/from Kelvin. It was eye opening to get to work with him for the short time I had. It was right around the time that he posted his backswing article on aroundhawaii and that was a big part of my new prescription. Extending my back in the takeaway as opposed to the flexing I was doing was an instant improvement for me.

Now, for my last 2 months and the changes I've really been focused on as of late... I've read through Ben Hogan's 5 lessons maybe 5 times in the last couple months... In addition, today, I was on a 12 hour road trip and I read his Power Golf book cover to cover for the first time in years. I really feel neglectful for only focusing on half of his work. Power golf really completes the picture. My biggest focus started out to be the hips. I read and read what is written about how the swing is started and I've spent countless hours trying to initiate my swing with my hips. What I've noticed is, what I interpreted as correct was far from it. I've been tending to slide my hips or fire my knee, but I don't think I ever got the actual motion quite right. I still may not be there fully, but I'm so much closer than ever before. As I've progressed towards a truer hip turn, I've noticed how important it is for my arms to move appropriately. Most importantly the connected "tied together" feeling. If you lead with the hips but your arms aren't connected to your torso, then you're in for a world of hurt. Even worse than that is rotating your arms in the take away, or becoming laid off. It seems nearly impossible to get to the ball with any sort of consistency if your hands/forearms roll away from the ball. Something I was very guilty of.

Fast forward to my most recent "Aha" moments. While on the range I really feel like I can't miss a shot. I've gained a consistency with contact from driver down to wedge that I've never had before. However, this is not standing up during the pressure of competition. I'm that range only guy... Every time I take this swing to the course I start off tremendously, but as the round progresses I slowly revert back to my old right shoulder dominant hip sliding hacker swing. I had a moment this week where I really focused on feeling what went wrong during each miss. I stood there holding my finish after a topped shot trying to feel what exactly occurred to create such a horrendous action. I really felt my hips move effortlessly and appropriately, but there was some sort of glitch that I really couldn't identify. I went through slow motion swings standing over my divot until I could recreate it. What I figured out has been written about and gone over by kelvin time and time again. Instead of going into right lateral bend, my spine stayed erect/vertical. Since it was not bending, the very slight weight shift from planting my left heel and rotating my hips caused my lower spine to be pulled over so slightly to the left. This continued all the way up to the top of my spine, pulling my right shoulder towards the ball and creating this instinctual moment of "HIT THE BALL" It really is the "glitch" I've had for so long. Now the more I think about and work on it, Lateral bend seems to be now ingrained in my swing. Without it, I'm a complete train wreck. All week I've been working on exaggerating my address posture to maybe a 20 degree right sided tilt or lateral bend. I take the club to the top of my swing as I normally would with my tension in the hips and the connection of my arms to my chest, but now I only focus on maintaining that 20 degree tilt. At the top of the swing I'm leading with a smooth transition of my hips as I have been for the last couple months, but again my real focus is on just maintaining that 20 degree tilt. This, admittedly, much involved effort has paid off in dividends.

So.... sorry a little wordy folks... as I said earlier, I read power golf today and my curiosity was struck ever so slightly. In the book, he mentions that he doesn't square his right foot but he opens it very minimally. He also says that his right shoulder drops after gripping the club and you can check that it is a appropriate by fitting a club above the pit of your inside right arm/elbow and below your left elbow. If you can imagine that gap that is created if your left arm stayed straight and your right elbow bent. Essentially what this showed me, was he was presetting himself into a pretty obvious right tilt. The next part that wasn't apparent until I tried it on the range was how he sets his hips at address. He says that he opened his hips towards the target very slightly. His dozens of cues and setup thoughts have always seemed overwhelming to me but since it's Hogan, I always find myself pursuing them regardless of the swing I'm working on. So, this new found lateral bend combined with the ever so slight opening of my hips towards the target turned out to be the most marked improvement I could possibly make and here's why.

When you address the ball, and bend your right knee in so your standing on the cleats on the inside of your right foot, followed by barely opening your hips, nothing really changes. But, and the big "but", is if you now drop your right shoulder so your right elbow is bent and your left arm is straight, you feel absolutely locked and primed to go. It seems to connect your torso to your hips at that angle because your hips follow your shoulders from the very start of the swing. If you don't do either of these, then when you start your swing, your hips don't feel any tension until your hands are maybe hip high. If you open your hips just a fraction, and drop your shoulder, the moment the swing starts you feel your hip get pulled. What that does for me is this... at anytime during the swing since that tension is now there, if I fire my hip, I'll hit the ball solid. I can go back real high into my backswing to get a few extra yards or I can stop at 9:00 and seem to get nothing but pure contact.

As long as I've been reading about golf and staring at video after video, Hogan's right leg always looked funny to me. Like it had a brace, or it was propped up, or he was sitting in a chair. When you do those few things it really seems to "lock" you in where you just need to pull the trigger....

Off to work for 2 days, but I'll be back at it to hit mountains of balls as usual on saturday.

Looks like you need some left lateral bend on the backstroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tang View Post
    Looks like you need some left lateral bend on the backstroke.
    I completely agree... I think that is the little piece that I can do really well for practice swings, but when the ball is there, I tend to slide my hip and lift my left side up... It's that whole rolling flat takeaway nonsense. I feel like my newer swings are a touch better than the old ones on here. Still trying to get a video at the range. I haven't hit balls since my last post, but I'm working on it.

Holy crap. It's been a year since I've posted on here. Ive been busy at the golf course working non stop on my swing. I'm still stuck and I can't quite figure out the hiccup. I bounce back and forth between Kelvin and Hogan's books. I continue to have eureka moments but I haven't filmed myself in probably a year. I've been focused on strengthening my hips and my legs to gain stability in my transition. That's been the crucial moment for me. Half the time my shoulders start my swing but the other half of the time my hips start my swing. When my hips fire I feel like I can play the best golf of my life.

So.... I played a tournament today and my friend visiting from Indiana was taking pictures. I've never been so happy with my impact position in my life. It really looks like a drive/hold to me. I think it's the closest I've ever been and my game is becoming so much more effortless. This picture was actually our long drive hole. I hit it uphill with a slight wind helping to 310 yards for the whopping $10 prize. Anyhow. I just wanted to pop back in because I'm seriously stoked. Hips hips hips!Name:  IMG_6296.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  256.1 KBName:  IMG_6296.jpg
Size:  256.1 KB