Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bman must be pulling our leg...

Bman must be pulling our leg...

One of the few remaining active posters at The Land of the Blind initiated this thread, where he complained about chronic hooking.

http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfing...baaaaaaad.html

He posted this video, with the accompanying remarks:

Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 12.13.40 AM.png

Golf Digest Top 50 instructor, Golf Magazine Top 100 instructor and self-proclaimed "the best of all-time" instructor responded with this advice:

Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 12.16.24 AM.png

hmmmm... "Your left shoulder goes higher than the right right shoulder way too soon in the downswing". Really? Let's compare Schultz to major champion David Toms:

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 10.18.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 10.23.04 PM.png

I don't think you need a screen protractor to see that Toms's right shoulder is way lower than Schultz's pretty deep into the downswing. Manzella must be joking, right?

And, Schultz's chest needs to be "more open" at address? I gotta say they look plenty open to me.

Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 12.27.49 AM.jpg

This is among the best the golf instruction industry has to offer? Shame on them.

Jeff

Shultzs friend had a better swing by a long way , he must not visit Manzabbles land for tips

Lloyd Higley Guest

He went normal though!!! Didn't he? Maybe he didn't? Maybe he did???

Schultz's swing isn't perfect but I think it's still pretty darn good! In particular, I like the way his left leg straightens through impact. Nice to finally see it.

Lloyd Higley Guest
    He has some good things...

Driver shaft is too long and that doesn't help matters.

3JACK

yeah looks like it. im 5 foot 8 and i have mine at 43 inches.... my 7 iron is the length of a 9 iron.

i see nothing good about this swing. the only thing ill say is that its not a terrible swing. it looks like the average swing of someone who shoots 85-90

ok.

- the friend used to play for university of texas so he's a player. he used to teach me a couple years ago.
    - it is a flip hook and it is pissing me off.
    - i don't know if i went normal.
    - thank you.
    - thank you.
    - driver shaft is 45 and i grip the end of it so it looks longer than it is, i imagine.
    - and you're looking at my actual bad swings, ball flight and all. i don't care how my good swings look if i want to fix something. i shoot 78-82, playing for four years, starting a family during my first year. not much time to practice, but i do the best i can. can i see your bad swings and tell you how bad they look? i'm just kidding, but yea...low blow.

the low hooks are keeping me out of the 70s at the moment. actually last time i went to the range i had a lot of success just trying to turn fairly aggressively through the ball, without stopping. it felt like my arms were way out in front of my turn so i just tried it. i'll see how it will work out tomorrow/tonight, but it seems to be solid at the moment.

so jeff, what is your suggestion? i didn't have anyone to film the swings last night, but i can try to see if the turning thing changes everything. contact was really good, ball flight was a nice high draw, so i'm hoping it looks a little more coordinated than that mess i posted. thank you for your support :P

David-

What's really missing from your swing is optimal use of the spine to create rotation. That leads to the "goat hump" look:

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 6.34.42 AM.png

I'd suggest you work on creating some right side lateral bend, left pelvic tilt and lumbar lordosis. Jamie is a great model.

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 6.41.06 AM.png

The combination of lumbar lordosis (or anterior pelvic tilt), right side lateral bend and left pelvic tilt will induce a counter-clockwise rotation of the hips as well as a clockwise rotation of the shoulders. See how Jamie's hips are much more open than yours, and how your shoulders and hips are almost parallel; Jamie's shoulders are much more closed relative to the hips. Also, notice how close Jamie's right elbow is to his belt and how much curve he has in his spine compared to you.

This increased rotation should make it easier to avoid a flip.

Good luck!

Jeff

pics: evidence of right elbow move in place and low rate of closure through impact.

i think he can use a better spine angle through impact. not sure currently it is a postural issue by habit or core weakness/imbalance leading to difficulty in maintaining a good spine angle dynamically. i suspect the latter. i think this issue should be addressed first and then work on J's suggestions. right elbow move attached to an upright spine with right foot pulled back for in to out path currently contribute to a spine flip if you will.

i think he can use a squat move, the base of a good swing frequently cited here by KJL. want to swing driver hard? don't get to the left side early through bumping.

and oh,,,anyone with any swings good or bad can hook once in a while so there is no permanent fix. swinging at a good temp certainly helps...

Quote Originally Posted by golfdad View Post
    pics: evidence of right elbow move in place and low rate of closure through impact.

i think he can use a better spine angle through impact. not sure currently it is a postural issue by habit or core weakness/imbalance leading to difficulty in maintaining a good spine angle dynamically. i suspect the latter. i think this issue should be addressed first and then work on J's suggestions. right elbow move attached to an upright spine with right foot pulled back for in to out path currently contribute to a spine flip if you will.

i think he can use a squat move, the base of a good swing frequently cited here by KJL. want to swing driver hard? don't get to the left side early through bumping.

and oh,,,anyone with any swings good or bad can hook once in a while so there is no permanent fix. swinging at a good temp certainly helps...

Yep, that makes staying centered in the downswing and creating APT easier. Also sets up the second fire, which he doesn't really have. You can easily see how much more flexion Jamie has at the knees and the hips through the squat move. From there, the "fearsome foursome" can fire.

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 9.58.47 AM.png

Jeff

David-

One thing I forgot to mention is that right side lateral bend will open the face, so be prepared to strengthen your grip if you go down that path.

Jeff

On the picture of Jamie I don't "see" much difference besides him being tilted right more than me. Visually I just imagine myself more bent over to the right and I'm pretty much where he is. The stuff you've cited as things to work on I have been trying to work on, though. Especially the knees more flexed in transition. But from my experience I only get the flexed knees squat look if I try to go after the ball. Been having a lot of trouble going after it without a fear of hitting a roper. Things have felt all out of synch, but this idea of increased rotation and side bend has been working well. I hit the ball great again last night. I have also been working on my address position/posture because it looked like the club was lying flat (toe sticking up.) I moved closer and bent over a little, pushing my butt back and getting weight away from my toes. Footing felt a lot more solid and I felt more balanced.

Oh...don't try to scare me with an open face if I'm hooking the ball Thanks for your time, everyone.

David

It's hard to tell with your untucked shirt, but I suspect you have no left pelvic tilt and the left hip gets higher than the right very quickly. That will promote a stall. You'll either have to drop the left hip in transition and/or lift the right heel.

I would try making these changes in the transition and the downswing by doing a lot of slow motion reps and checking your positions in a full-length mirror or video.

Jeff