Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bman must be pulling our leg...

That's what I do every day haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
    David-

What's really missing from your swing is optimal use of the spine to create rotation. That leads to the "goat hump" look:

Attachment 3100

I'd suggest you work on creating some right side lateral bend, left pelvic tilt and lumbar lordosis. Jamie is a great model.

Attachment 3101

The combination of lumbar lordosis (or anterior pelvic tilt), right side lateral bend and left pelvic tilt will induce a counter-clockwise rotation of the hips as well as a clockwise rotation of the shoulders. See how Jamie's hips are much more open than yours, and how your shoulders and hips are almost parallel; Jamie's shoulders are much more closed relative to the hips. Also, notice how close Jamie's right elbow is to his belt and how much curve he has in his spine compared to you.

This increased rotation should make it easier to avoid a flip.

Good luck!

Jeff
    Ok I get this analysis but...make sure the camera angles are IDENTICAL before offering. Not dissing, have been guilty of this myself, just a friendly alert.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Mack View Post
    Ok I get this analysis but...make sure the camera angles are IDENTICAL before offering. Not dissing, have been guilty of this myself, just a friendly alert.
    Hah I kind of noticed that one, too. Move the cameraman for my swing about a foot to the left. And then what is seen?

Hah I kind of noticed that one, too. Move the cameraman for my swing about a foot to the left. And then what is seen?

Here's a good ball. Same thing? I shot two over for 9 holes that day.

When looking at body movements, I don't think identical camera angles are always necessary. I think folks get way too carried away on that one.

Jeff

I'm trying to wrap my head around this elbow move. I've read the articles but I'm having trouble visualizing it. Are there more in-depth ones other than "the essentials?"

Quote Originally Posted by David Schultz View Post

Here's a good ball. Same thing? I shot two over for 9 holes that day.

Yep, same thing; looks even worse from this angle. Wearing loose, untucked shirts doesn't help the analysis, but you can easily see how much higher your right shoulder is than Jamie's.

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 4.55.26 AM.png

Jeff

I'm trying to wrap my head around this elbow move. I've read the articles but I'm having trouble visualizing it. Are there more in-depth ones other than "the essentials?"
    Hogan gives a good visual in his rehearsal swings in the "lesson segment" from the Shell telecast:

Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 12.04.40 AM.png

Jeff

I've been told by a buddy (great tournament amateur player) about my high right shoulder, but I didn't delve into what he meant by it. It was back when I was still hitting cuts and couldn't really hit a draw. I didn't know if he meant at address or what. Regarding the articles about the shoulders, I'll look it up later. I have a lesson on Thursday anyway. No rush. Take care!

edit...
    just went to a mirror...right arm is internally rotating too early to cause the right shoulder being high?

I've been told by a buddy (great tournament amateur player) about my high right shoulder, but I didn't delve into what he meant by it. It was back when I was still hitting cuts and couldn't really hit a draw. I didn't know if he meant at address or what. Regarding the articles about the shoulders, I'll look it up later. I have a lesson on Thursday anyway. No rush. Take care!

edit...
    just went to a mirror...right arm is internally rotating too early to cause the right shoulder being high?

No, it is simpler than that: you don't lateral bend to the right. Lateral bend will bring the shoulder closer to the hip. Lateral bend with anterior pelvic tilt will open the hips and close the shoulders relative to each other (it will also steepen the shoulders). Using this combination is how players like Jamie and Rory get the hips so far open at impact.

Jeff

Here's the visual I use when it comes to the elbow move:

3JACK

Huh...I've talked about that to one of my buddies at work. He coaches baseball on the side. He believes the elbow gets that way when throwing a pitch because dude is about to throw it hard. It "just happens" in his eyes.

So if I bend to the right and stick my caboose out (that's what I call APT), I should get closer to where I want to be?

Final question, if I looked "worse" on the picture where I hit a good shot, why did I hit a good shot? This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy about golf swing analysis. On one end you've got me being called out for humping, and on that swing I'm actually backing away from the ball through the "tush line" and resetting my balance towards the ball at the finish. Meh. I've got bigger fish to fry this afternoon so I'll not think about my swing today.

Have a good day, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
    When looking at body movements, I don't think identical camera angles are always necessary. I think folks get way too carried away on that one.

Jeff
    Yes I agree with you if that is all you have to work with...but tread lightly as your brain might fool you.

Mark, what are you referencing? Lesson on Thursday can't come soon enough I'm not trying to stir up the pot or anything, but if you are telling me to do something, in any aspect of life, I'm expecting a pretty concise answer as to why. That's just how I am. That's why I only trust myself when it comes to working on my swing. I might ask for help, but I still deep down inside trust no one. You've gotta earn it. Tony Montana playing golf. I can see how that might hurt me or help me the same, but I can't really help it. I've been burned before.

Huh...I've talked about that to one of my buddies at work. He coaches baseball on the side. He believes the elbow gets that way when throwing a pitch because dude is about to throw it hard. It "just happens" in his eyes.
    Doesn't "just happen" with two hands holding the club, especially with a flat arm swing. Hogan practiced that move constantly: I have pictures from the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s and 1970s of him practicing that move.

So if I bend to the right and stick my caboose out (that's what I call APT), I should get closer to where I want to be?
    If you want to rotate better and try to get rid of your flip, yes. It's entirely up to you.

Final question, if I looked "worse" on the picture where I hit a good shot, why did I hit a good shot? This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy about golf swing analysis.
    That's how it goes with unsound swings. Whatever compensations or timing you had going then were working. Now they aren't. If you just want band-aids to get you back to "where you were", you've come to the wrong place.

On one end you've got me being called out for humping, and on that swing I'm actually backing away from the ball through the "tush line" and resetting my balance towards the ball at the finish. Meh. I've got bigger fish to fry this afternoon so I'll not think about my swing today.
    Nope, you're goat-humping pretty much the same in both swings.

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 1.13.16 PM.jpg

There is nothing particularly "wrong" with goat-humping, it is just the look that results when you extend the hips without any right side lateral bend. See this article:

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyl...ine-angle.html

Have a good day, everyone!

Likewise!

Jeff