Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bman must be pulling our leg...

Lifter reminded me of this drill which might help you get the feel of right side lateral bend. Gonna start using it again myself!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by David Schultz View Post
    Mark, what are you referencing? Lesson on Thursday can't come soon enough I'm not trying to stir up the pot or anything, but if you are telling me to do something, in any aspect of life, I'm expecting a pretty concise answer as to why. That's just how I am. That's why I only trust myself when it comes to working on my swing. I might ask for help, but I still deep down inside trust no one. You've gotta earn it. Tony Montana playing golf. I can see how that might hurt me or help me the same, but I can't really help it. I've been burned before.
    I think Mark's comments are directed towards me, not you. Chill.

Jeff

I know they were. I just wanted him to clarify what he sees versus what you see. Sorry if it seemed a little confrontational. Just wanted to open up that discussion.

So if my hips are backing through the tush line, what am I humping exactly? I feel like I have to thrust them towards the target to hit the ball with any height and not come over the top. Just curious.

Lloyd Higley Guest
    Great drill Jeff, use it a lot
    Thanks Lifter

Quote Originally Posted by David Schultz View Post
    So if my hips are backing through the tush line, what am I humping exactly?
    The reason your hips "back through the tush line" is because you set up with your tush in line with the heels, which is unusual and most likely out of balance. During the backswing, the tush moves away from the ball, most likely to regain balance.

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 4.41.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 4.44.49 PM.png

If you re-orient the tush line to where the tush is at the top of the backswing, you move off of the tush line in the downswing: i.e., goat-hump.

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 4.46.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 4.47.29 PM.png

I feel like I have to thrust them towards the target to hit the ball with any height and not come over the top. Just curious.

I explained to you that hip extension ("thrust") will create a goat-humping "look" if performed without right side lateral bend, which you don't have, and posted a link to an article explaining that phenomena in some detail. Is there a question?

Jeff

Some great stuff here in this thread.
    FWIW, as I'm not expert, but things that helped me:-
    I was a true goat humper till I found this site and Kelvin
    Through changing my swing, I found to try to just right side lateral bend from the top and down didn't really work - You need other components.
    You can't just right side bend - not as easy as that sadly.
    At top, through transition:- Lordosis, squat, skipping a stone as you start down. In that order for me. Feel that upper, inside right arm\armpit feeling\trying to turn up the sky (external rotation) in your first move down, and holding, externally rotating throughout (it won't) with transverse adduction. Try to hold that squat , lordosis as you start down. If you can get these elements that right side bend is allowed to happen, and you can feel the powerful right elbow, upper arm drive.
    Most importantly never slide, just rotate and always feel the 'chi-line' . That's what you're aiming for.
    My left foot started turning out and was pointing to the target at completion of swing, with my right thigh close to left , crack your nuts. (think Rory) .
    Don't use a club at first - it's easier to develop that move.

Bit of an aside: I'd expect taller golfers to have more of an angled look to the spine at impact (i.e. Bubba, Quiros, Kuchar).

That said, Hogan and Trevino (two guys who were not tall) still had a lot more lateral bend than Schultz does........

David,

Another move that might really help in transition: right shoulder external rotation.

See micro move #3 in this article by Kelvin: http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyl...ag-part-2.html

Cool thanks guys.

Yup, great link there Lifter.
    Right arm Transverse adduction combined with external rotation is golden.
    Yikes, (like all the others) what an article by Kelvin. Miles ahead.

Lloyd Higley Guest
    Nice video showing that from Andre

Lloyd Higley Guest
    Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 9.37.02 AM.png

Could be camera angles but set up could use some work, right arm, wrist really on top of handle.

The right wrist and arm should look like what then? Not so pointed down in UD?

FYI, the original thread is gone from The Land of the Blind...

http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfing...baaaaaaad.html

Jeff