Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trackman Maestro and Pat Perez

Trackman Maestro and Pat Perez

Joseph Mayo, the self-proclaimed "Trackman Maestro", hooked up with veteran tour pro Pat Perez last year, and received quite a bit of favorable press about the positive effect he had on Pat's game:

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-...eat-tiger.html

http://archive.azcentral.com/sports/...enix-open.html

http://www.valerotexasopen.com/inter...ez-03-27-2014/

http://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/...-joe-mayo.html

Some highlights:

"I've finally got my game in order," Perez, 37, said. "I started working with a guy named Joe Mayo, and he's really taught me how to understand the ball launch. I finally understand. I've been looking for that forever. I have this confidence now where I know where the ball's going to go. I feel like I can hit good shots and it's changed everything."

He had just missed four straight cuts in his last five events, including the one in Las Vegas. What he quickly discovered through Mayo was that he was a whopping eight degrees out-to-in on his swing, which in layman's terms is a lot for a TOUR player and was causing an inconsistency that forced Perez to use his gifted hand-eye coordination to make up for such a big gap.

“(Joe) made a couple quick changes and in 10 minutes (Pat) was flushing it," said Perez's longtime caddie Mike Hartford. "It literally all happened that day.”

Added Mayo: “I’ve seen a remarkable change. Everybody has always known about his physical talent, but he also has the unique ability to adapt quickly.”

“For first time ever he finally understands his golf swing,” Hartford said. “We can come up with a game plan whereas before it was sort of like we just went with what we had that day.

“Now he can hit pretty much any shot. This is the best I’ve ever seen him play.”

Even Brian Manzella praised the changes his "good buddy" Joseph made to Pat's driving game:

http://www.golf.com/video/brian-manz...-perez-driving

That all sounds great, what a transformation! Joseph Mayo, the Trackman Maestro, sounds like the real deal!

But, is it real? I don't have Richie's stats for 2014, but I have pulled some relevant ones for 2013 and 2014 from the PGA tour website. Let's see what working with a Trackman Maestro will do for a player's ball striking and scoring.

First, some driving stats:

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 12.22.46 AM.png

Next, some other ball striking and scoring stats:

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 12.23.06 AM.png

hmmmm...

Jeff

I will say this, I have found that on Tour that it is very difficult for golfers to improve by working on changes during the season.

I have found that on Tour that when it comes to working on changes (whether or not it's ballstriking or putting, etc) the amount of time that a part of a player's game has regressed it will take an equal amount of time if not longer for the player to 'get it back.'

I provide the following services for my full-time clients:

1. Golf Course data analysis of every hole in the event they are playing (that is recorded on ShotTracker)

2. Analysis of their performance after each event

3. Any new research and studies I have performed

4. Research upon request.

I believe without a shadow of a doubt that #2 is the most valuable for Tour players. If we can keep on top of what is actually giving them problems, then they can correct it more quickly. So, if you're in the middle of the season and your driving is down for 3 weeks, it will probably take at least 3 weeks to get it back. But, that sure beats having your driving turn sour for 4 months and then having to work for at least another 4 months in order to get it back.

This is also my largest obstacle...convincing clients that they need to take in my services right away instead of waiting until it is too late.

And I believe that is the problem that many Tour instructors face...so many Tour players will wait until it is too late.

Where they tend to make the most progress is during the offseason. But, now the offseason is essentially split in two with the Tour's season starting up again in October. I think it has an adverse effect on the timetable for improvement.

Lastly, we don't know what the golfer's behavior towards the changes is.

For example, I had a client that was a terrible putter last season. He ranked around 140th on putts from 3-5 feet and he was around 160th in Putts Gained.

His coach tried to get him to use AimPoint, but his reply was to the effect I make everything all day long from inside 6 feet and AimPoint will only help me make some longer putts, so I don't want to try it.

It's really an asinine statement because:

a) He doesn't make 'everything' from inside 6 feet...far from it. He's a poor putter by Tour standards from inside 6 feet.

b) He was actually a pretty good putter from outside 15 feet.

c) Making more long putts is a good thing

d) Just because you incorporate AimPoint doesn't mean you can't make putts inside 6 feet

The player came away with well, I don't want to work on this for 6 months and not see any progress. It's clear that the player just didn't want to incorporate AimPoint despite being a terrible putter his entire career on Tour.

Sometimes, players begrudge the change and the challenge for the instructor is to sell the player on those changes or figure out a way to work around what he is unwilling to do.

3JACK

Richie-

Wouldn't you think that a Trackman Maestro might try to do something about Perez's launch conditions? His driving distance ranking lags his club head speed ranking by over 60 places! Low launch, high spin and one of the lowest smash factors on tour.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
    Richie-

Wouldn't you think that a Trackman Maestro might try to do something about Perez's launch conditions? His driving distance ranking lags his club head speed ranking by over 60 places! Low launch, high spin and one of the lowest smash factors on tour.

Jeff
    I think he has. IIRC, Perez was hitting something like -5 degrees down when he started working with him and now he's more flat. Have to remember that he didn't see Perez until mid-season so Perez's radar numbers early on may have been so far downward that it affected what his numbers for the entire year looked like.

3JACK

Quote Originally Posted by Richie3Jack View Post
    I think he has. IIRC, Perez was hitting something like -5 degrees down when he started working with him and now he's more flat. Have to remember that he didn't see Perez until mid-season so Perez's radar numbers early on may have been so far downward that it affected what his numbers for the entire year looked like.

3JACK

OK, we'll see; not much change so far this season. For his four rounds this year, Pat's highest launch angle is 10.10 degrees, and he's averaging 7.80 degrees, ranked 127th out of 144. Spin rate is the highest on tour at a whopping 3,573 rpm. Smash factor is 1.441, second lowest. Club head speed is back up, though, at 117.6 mph. But that hasn't helped his distance: averaging 268.6 yards on All Drives, ranked 140th out of 144, 120 places behind his CHS ranking.

Jeff

If you look at the Frys.com as a whole, the launch angles were lower than normal. I know my clients all pulled in lower launch angles than they normally do as well and none of them work with Joe.

Perez missed the cut and if you go into the weather archive at wunderground.com, it says that Napa, CA had an average wind speed of 5 mph and a Max Speed of 16 mph on those days. The max speed is a little more telling (particularly on an afternoon round). Anything over 12 mph should be considered 'windy.' So perhaps they were launching it lower because of the wind.

Only 56% of the fairways were found at Silverado. There were a few holes that were very narrow off the tee, so I think the general plan was to launch it lower to keep it in the fairway.

I just know that when it comes to attack angles with Joe he leans more towards hitting up on the driver and I think it is a very overrated concept which I will discuss in 2014 Pro Golf Synopsis. So I can't imagine Joe teaching any student to hit more downward and if anything he would lean towards hitting too much up on the ball.

3JACK

Richie-

I must have misread while looking at the stats that he'd played four rounds; you're right, he has only played two.

I also noticed that the launch angles were lower than usual; that's why I included his ranking: 127th out of 144. He usually ranks around 100th in launch angle.

There is no evidence Perez has been bringing his launch angle up after starting with Joe: his maximum launch angle for all of 2014 was 14.07 degrees; his maximum in 2013 was higher, at 14.89 degrees. In 2012, his average launch was 10.82 degrees, virtually the same as the past two seasons, and the maximum launch angle was 13.51 degrees.

Joe basically parrots the Stack and Tilt gospel from his friend Andy Plummer, and we can see Perez is staying a bit more on his left side than what is conventional. That isn't going to make it any easier to shallow the angle of attack and launch the ball higher.

Jeff

I agree that Joe is very much into what S&T teaches. But, I know that Joe has been into hitting up on the driver. I personally don't like the concept for a Tour player.

I know when Daniel Summerhays played in his rookie year his attack angle was at -6 degrees. He then started working with Grant Waite at the end of 2011 and his attack angle is right around -1 to +1 degrees. Obviously, Grant is not Joe and vice versa, but I can't imagine their theories being that different.

3JACK

Pat started working with Mayo a year ago just after the Vegas tournament. I heard that he really liked the way he was hitting it through the first half of the year and at the colonial tournament Joe decided to introduce more of the stack and tilt concepts, but after trying some of that stuff Pat didn't want to go down that road, and just wanted to work on the stuff they were working on earlier in the year.

At about the 4:10 part of the video Perez talks about the stuff he's working on now(July 2014). He says he's trying to get closer to the positions that Rory and Adam Scott have in their swings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_hEB8CMxE

what about this position Pat??!!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorgolf View Post
    Pat started working with Mayo a year ago just after the Vegas tournament.

That is consistent with what's in this month's Golf Digest.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post

what about this position Pat??!!

WOW! Before and after case gone wrong.

How long before Pat Perez says "hold the Mayo"???

Two tournaments, two missed cuts. Driving and radar stats no better than 2013 and 2014:

Driving distance - All drives: 278.6 yards/ranked 159th out of 170
    Driving distance - Measured drives: 289.3 yards/151st

Hit fairway %: 53.70%/T105th

Avg. Distance to edge of fairway: 26' 4"/83rd

Fairway bunker %: 1.9%/T12th

Missed fairway - other %: 5.56%/157th

Club head speed: 117.55mph/25th, a gap of 134 places between driving distance and CHS rankings

Launch angle: 9.60 degrees/136th (max launch angle: 12.50 degrees)

Spin rate: 3,246rpm/6th

Smash factor: 1.45/166th

Jeff

The latest from Joseph Mayo...

This video demonstrates that Joseph Mayo doesn't fully understand the influence of wrist extension/flexion on face angle.

Jeff