Thread: Boditrak

Boditrak

What is the verdict on the Boditrak weight shift analysis mat? And also on weight shift mats in general for teaching purposes?

Google's telling me on Richie's 3jack blog that he's tried the boditrak, but I can't look at it because I get forwarded to another site. Blog probably been hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggi View Post
    What is the verdict on the Boditrak weight shift analysis mat? And also on weight shift mats in general for teaching purposes?

Google's telling me on Richie's 3jack blog that he's tried the boditrak, but I can't look at it because I get forwarded to another site. Blog probably been hacked.
    Hi Biggi.

I've had a boditrak shift mat since autumn 2013. It's an excellent system both portable and considerably cheaper than its competition. I explored all options before I brought mine. A major factor for me was that you can use it anywhere due to it being a mat you can literally roll up and carry.

Hope this helps.

2.500$ for the mat.. is that aprox right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggi View Post
    2.500$ for the mat.. is that aprox right ?
    It's 1750 here in UK. SAM balance plate is approx. 4000

Know how much the Swing Catalyst it?

Wii Balance Board is 100$, it tracks fast enough to be able to play fast games.. don't know how accurate it is compared to the golf specific weight shift mats and it's big. Im surprised there hasn't been a golf one at a similar price.

I think the BodiTrak is $2k. It's very easy to use. I tried it twice, once at the PGA Merchandise Show and the other with Brendan Kennedy. When I tried it with Brendan Kennedy he told me the issue is that it's not quite in sync with the camera and it appeared that way. It's probably a frame or so off. So, you can get a pretty good idea of what it is telling you, but that is a nuisance and if you pay $2k for something you want it to work like it is supposed to.

Swing Catalyst is much more accurate, but is an indoor machine. BodiTrak can be used outdoors.

I'm curious about how Jeffy feels about these machines.

3JACK

Quote Originally Posted by Richie3Jack View Post
    I think the BodiTrak is $2k. It's very easy to use. I tried it twice, once at the PGA Merchandise Show and the other with Brendan Kennedy. When I tried it with Brendan Kennedy he told me the issue is that it's not quite in sync with the camera and it appeared that way. It's probably a frame or so off. So, you can get a pretty good idea of what it is telling you, but that is a nuisance and if you pay $2k for something you want it to work like it is supposed to.

Swing Catalyst is much more accurate, but is an indoor machine. BodiTrak can be used outdoors.

I'm curious about how Jeffy feels about these machines.

3JACK

After reading Doug Marsh's article on COP v. COM, as well as some email correspondence between him and Kel, I don't know how these machines are worth anywhere near the cost. Many different things are influencing COP and can't be disaggregated. Might be good to help fill the lesson book, but, as far as I can tell, that's about it.

Jeff

Lukman Ahmed Guest
    I agree with Jeff. Nevertheless, you may find that Ryan Chaney can give you some helpful information. He had tweeted about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
    After reading Doug Marsh's article on COP v. COM, as well as some email correspondence between him and Kel, I don't know how these machines are worth anywhere near the cost. Many different things are influencing COP and can't be disaggregated. Might be good to help fill the lesson book, but, as far as I can tell, that's about it.

Jeff
    Interesting you say that Jeff. I had some email convo with DM earlier this year while I was in Dubai. His research and Kelvins articles made me review my use of my Boditrak mat. What has been very interesting since my views were changed, was how my longest hitting players "recoil" their COP backward before impact. More recoil, more power. The data I have is from over 500 logged hours on the mat

Lloyd Higley Guest
    redhilgolfprol could you post some videos ? Can you explain how your views have changed since talking to Doug ? Haven't used it and would love to hear how you use it to make changes or gather data to make changes

Quote Originally Posted by redhillgolfpro View Post
    Interesting you say that Jeff. I had some email convo with DM earlier this year while I was in Dubai. His research and Kelvins articles made me review my use of my Boditrak mat. What has been very interesting since my views were changed, was how my longest hitting players "recoil" their COP backward before impact. More recoil, more power. The data I have is from over 500 logged hours on the mat
    What causes the "recoil"?

Jeff

It will be interesting to see some data on drive-holders vs non drive- holders on drivers (upward swing) and irons (downward swing).

Concur with the above sentiment that weight distribution is only one facet of the whole picture, or the saying of horse and cart. Having said that, it may be a valuable tool to sequentially compare one individual's progress from one swing to another, or one type of swing to another.

For whatever it is worth,,,currently, my younger one's driver remains to be very right sided loaded in the backswing, centered through impact and with no conscious shift or bump toward the left side. However, she feels that she hits her irons much more purely if she pivots strongly toward the left side with her iron play. This distinction between driver and iron came about not from my suggestion but her own experimentation. I can imagine force plate data on her driver vs iron will be vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
    What causes the "recoil"?

Jeff
    The common pattern is a large pressure shift left (around 90% by P4.5), usually from a slide. Many of Kelvins studied model moves missing. "Recoil" becomes an instinctive "shallowing" correction as none of them were taught it. However all of them had been told in the past to transfer their weight in the downswing. "Posting" was a common feedback phrase.

Coach, I'd like to chat. DM your email and maybe we can link up via Skype?

Lloyd Higley Guest
    Will do, would love that...