Thread: Train Slow, Be Slow?

Train Slow, Be Slow?

This is a mantra in typical gyms and S&C programs. I used to believe that until I started getting more years of experience and education. In other words, until I started really paying attention to what actually works. It's is true every once in a while. Here is a case study of a female touring pro. She began working with me about 8 weeks ago and we do indeed do some power/speed work.

Average driver distance was 242, now 270.
    7-iron carry 142, now 153. Swing instructor has not changed. Proximity to hole from every category 100-200 yards has improved.

Here's the "case study" part. We put her on our 3-D before and after a 15-minute tutorial on postural correction and awareness. Specific focus was paid to upper thoracic spine motion (uprighting via rhomboids) and deep neck flexor application. There was virtually no actual motion involved in these drills, mostly static applications.

Here are results, averaged over 5 swings pre and post:

Name:  Pelv Ang velocity.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  5.6 KB

Pelvic rotation velocity in the downswing increased about 10% (50 deg/sec).

Her "balance" in the backswing also improved. You can see not only less diversion to the left toes in the backswing (which can limit true rotation) but also how much tighter and more consistent the grouping is after posture correction.

Name:  L foot A-P CoP.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  8.3 KB

That allowed her right foot load to increase in the backswing - the "up and right move" as y'all call it was enhanced. This graph shows %body weight transfer to the right foot in the backswing. We know this is a usable weight shift because her balance also improved, meaning it's a force transfer her body was in a position to actually apply.

Name:  R foot BS load.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  6.7 KB

All this happened with ZERO SWING THOUGHTS. The interventions were based on DNS (dynamic neuromuscular stabilization) and my thanks to Dr. Todd Nieder for his invaluable contributions. The player has an enduring reduction in neck stiffness and now sleeps better at night, as well.

Happy to discuss the principles and drills involved.

Great job!

3JACK

Can you elaborate on the 15-minute tutorial on postural correction and awareness and types of drills done. Does it involve getting in "the correct" positions and holding them so the brain can assimilate them when swinging?

Thanks,
    Jim

The exercise session was centered around lengthening/extending the thoracic spine, especially upper thoracic. The developmental movement sequence shows us the true movement is called uprighting, where the rhomboids and other scapular stabilizers properly orient the t-spine to support the head so it can look around as a baby begins to look, roll over, and move around.

In order to accomplish this we need deep lumbar spine stability (the first commandment in human movement) and deep cervical flexion. Once the right target is identified it only takes a few minutes (barring acute pain, scar tissue, etc.) to help re-set the pattern that was there long ago.

So, we worked on prone extension:

Name:  3 month prone.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  8.1 KB

Added to that some crawling (raise one arm and the paraspinals and other arm must support the movement) and neck rotations.

We finished with some hanging stance, a modified version of this picture:

Name:  tripod.JPG
Views: 909
Size:  149.4 KB

This is just FYI - I would not recommend just trying this on your own. It won't you hurt but it's extremely difficult to appreciate the challenges without good supervision at first. Done correctly people will be shaking (reorganizing patterns) and quite fatigued after only some seconds of work. It is not wise to practice with distractions like music or conversation...quite intense.