Thread: Jake's Swing Journal

Jake's Swing Journal

Half decent player sometimes, atrocious ball striker some other times. Where to start? obviously lots to work on here but I often wonder where is best to begin.

I see a weak elbow move that might be hurt by too much external rotation on the backswing, also standard early extension of the lower body rather than good rotation and a flippy release.

You are too good of a player to evaluate confidently without some very clear, high shutter speed, high frame rate video. Can you manage to post some?

With all that said, I see pretty good body movement elements but personally don't like at all the weak grip I saw in your recruiting video from 2013 (looks like it may be stronger in the May 2016 video). My prejudice is that the most reliable approach to consistent ball striking is a shut-face cut, with a lot of left wrist extension/left forearm pronation post impact. For fun, why don't you try gripping the club with as strong a grip as possible, and see if you can swing outside-in and "hold off" your left arm's counter-clockwise rotation enough to hit fades with a punch-length swing?

Good luck!

Jeff

Did you try the super strong grip, cut-punch drill? Your left arm gets hyper extended at impact which may cause you to roll more when you are off.

Unless anyone has any better ideas, I'd focus on a stronger grip, a shut face and learn to hit cuts. If the left arm had some bend at impact, that might cut down on your consistency problems. Watch videos of strong grippers that hit cuts like David Duval or videos of Jamie.

The more you can look like this, left wrist fully extend, both wrists in UD, the better:

Name:  jamie and ben.PNG
Views: 645
Size:  485.4 KB

Jeff

Here is new video. Trying stronger grip to hold it off more, also sent a video to kelvin and he has me working on getting my left hip into flexion rather than straight into extension in transition.

Some of these positions and moves look better to me but I feel like I am missing something cause I am still hitting it really poorly. Although I really like how i retain the lag at impact with the driver here. That is new for me.

I feel like when I focus on turning I extend the hips really early which locks me out, I think i need to focus on getting the hip into a flexed position first.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake McNulty View Post
    Here is new video. Trying stronger grip to hold it off more, also sent a video to kelvin and he has me working on getting my left hip into flexion rather than straight into extension in transition.

Some of these positions and moves look better to me but I feel like I am missing something cause I am still hitting it really poorly. Although I really like how i retain the lag at impact with the driver here. That is new for me.

I feel like when I focus on turning I extend the hips really early which locks me out, I think i need to focus on getting the hip into a flexed position first.

What do you think

Doesn't look like you have much left lateral bend in backswing, shoulders appear maybe on flat side. Little more right knee extension and ppt early to start your backswing may help you feel a little more comfortable when you sit down in transition with hip flextion. Right now you EE to start transition for sure. Wonder if the pump drill might help ( tons of examples on YouTube) get you used to bringing club down with loads of hip flextion. Good luck

Update: Worked on steeper shoulder turn on the backswing, but can't seem to get the transition move with the body turn down. Do any of you have ideas for the feeling of flexion and rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
    Did you try the super strong grip, cut-punch drill? Your left arm gets hyper extended at impact which may cause you to roll more when you are off.

Unless anyone has any better ideas, I'd focus on a stronger grip, a shut face and learn to hit cuts. If the left arm had some bend at impact, that might cut down on your consistency problems. Watch videos of strong grippers that hit cuts like David Duval or videos of Jamie.

The more you can look like this, left wrist fully extend, both wrists in UD, the better:

Name:  jamie and ben.PNG
Views: 645
Size:  485.4 KB

Jeff

Jeff could you point me to more informations so I can understand what you are saying about that follow position. Messing around with slo mo swings I can't figure out how to get to that position and in turn I can't think of a feel for how to apply the club. Right now I feel like I am really starting to get the body moves more down but I really struggle with hooks and pulls that make playing golf impossible. I have changed my grip, it is much stronger in these videos and I really like how strong it feels in my hands however it is a real struggle to hit anything other than balls that go way left. Obviously there are moves in my arms that helped me close the face with a weaker grip so how do I counter that?

Ok another update here with some video. There is a lot better here but there is still this major jump back with my head accompanied by aggressive cervical spine flexion. I think whatever the cause is of this move is basically the last piece. I think this move stalls out my rotation of both lower and upper body.

What is y'alls opinion on this move. It has to have something to do with lordosis and lateral bend.