Thread: jeffy driver impact videos - August 5, 2012

jeffy driver impact videos - August 5, 2012

Kelvin is undertaking a study of the interaction between the clubhead and the ball at impact. Help him out in this worthy cause by posting high-speed videos of your ball-club impact.

I'll start things off.

My swing before I videoed impact.

Impact at 300fps: center contact, straight ballflight.

Impact at 600fps: different impacts that produced almost the identical ball-flight: tight draws that started a bit to the right and came back onto the target.

Toe-hit:

Center-strike:

Impact at 1,200fps:

Toe-hit:

Straight with a fade at the end:

My swing after the impact videos:

Jeff

FYI, impact before and after the high-speed impact videos:

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-08-05 at 11.50.17 PM.png
Views: 1064
Size:  903.9 KB

Jeff

Interesting what was going on with this fade at 1,200fps...

This ball started straight then faded at the end. Clubface looks closed just before impact. If that's a heel hit, why does the face looks like, if anything, it opens a bit post-impact???

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 12.13.41 AM.png
Views: 1025
Size:  559.9 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 12.14.59 AM.png
Views: 1038
Size:  562.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 12.16.04 AM.png
Views: 1052
Size:  576.0 KB

Jeff

I just remembered...

This driver has a 12 gram weight in the heel and a 2 gram weight in the toe, so the sweetspot is more towards the heel...

Jeff

A few more frames before impact on the straight/fade at the end 1200fps drive...

Kind of interesting how the face seems pretty square then closes in the frame just before impact.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 8.20.13 AM.png
Views: 1046
Size:  589.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 8.13.54 AM.png
Views: 1012
Size:  554.4 KB

Jeff

Clubface closed to what? The 90* angle of the picture I would say yes, but that's not what matters. The sweetspot path that is constantly moving with the clubhead in 3D is what matters. No way you can "see" such 3D sweetspot path with that video. The COG is inside the clubhead and you cannot see it with video. The COG influences what we feel/is the "sweetspot" on the clubface. The sweetspot is the size of a pinpoint. Not sure how far such study can go without knowing where the sweetspot is located in relation to the face that is shown on video.

Quote Originally Posted by cwdlaw223 View Post
    Clubface closed to what? The 90* angle of the picture I would say yes, but that's not what matters. The sweetspot path that is constantly moving with the clubhead in 3D is what matters. No way you can "see" such 3D sweetspot path with that video. The COG is inside the clubhead and you cannot see it with video. The COG influences what we feel/is the "sweetspot" on the clubface. The sweetspot is the size of a pinpoint. Not sure how far such study can go without knowing where the sweetspot is located in relation to the face that is shown on video.
    Closed relative to the face angle in the immediately prior frame. That movement is something you wouldn't see with 300 or 600fps. I guess that's why Kelvin has bought a Phantom camera for this study and will be shooting at 10,000fps or maybe more.

You've got a Casio, right? Could you maybe join the study and shoot some video for Kelvin? What would be very cool is having impact video as well as the Trackman data for the same swing. Would you please try to do that, cw? Pretty please??? Thanks!

Jeff

I couldn't get a decent picture of impact the other day while I was on Trackman. Other than last week, I haven't been on Trackman for almost two months. My swing doesn't really change and I don't have time or desire to change it that much. I'm not against it, just need to find the time. A lot of tournaments this month.

GIF of center hit at 300fps

Is that shut-to-open??? Beautiful drive.

Jeff

GIF of straight with some fade at the end drive at 1200fps

Jeff

GIF of tight draw drive at 600fps

This had almost the identical ball flight to the previous swing, which was a toe-hit, so I assumed this one was as well. Instead, it looks like it was hit right on the sweetspot, which must be a little toward the heel because of the weighting: 12 grams in the heel, 2 in the toe.

Jeff

GIF of toe-hit at 1200fps

I'm surprised how many frames it takes for the clubhead to deflect open. Shot was a tight draw like the others.

Jeff

Having 10g more in the either way will not move the CG by more than 2mm.