Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Miles Swing Journal

Miles' Swing Journal

Hi all,

Quick background - been playing seriously since Feb 2011, had various forms of tuition but the feedback was always vague and didn't seem to help at all. Then one day I stumbled on Kelvin's articles. Wow, just what I had ben searching for - specific micro moves and lot's of detail. So I decided to buy a Casio, film myself and teach myself using Kelvin articles and swing videos of Gary Woodland & Tiger in 2000 as rough guide. I haven't actually been playing rounds since July as that seems to re-enforce my old bad habits. So I've been a range monkey since then. What I lack in understanding I make up for in effort. My main fault is that I lack a clear method of how to improve efficiently and hence go round in circles a lot.

Below I'll add a timeline of my swing since I've had the Casio. Then I'll show the faults in my latest swing and what I'm working on.

Jan 2012

Feb 2012

March 2012

September 2012

September 2012 - better impact

November 2012

December 2012

Most recent session

Miles
    Last edited by Miles; January 20th, 2013 at 03:29 AM.

Main faults currently;

B/s
    - Lower my head and torso forwards slightly - also too much LPT on B/s
    - Lower body turns reasonably well but head slides nearer the target, increasing the LPT
    - Too flat with arms, (caused by abduction of right humerous)

D/s
    - No E/r in either leg, no hip flexion, (incorrect movements in my lower torso and hips)
    - Fear that reaching for the ball will lead to casting induces a slide into impact
    - Not enough LB or lordosis - has increased recently but due to the slide its not working

Hands/arms
    - Incorrect elbow move,
    - right humerous is abducting from takeaway and is present throughout whole swing (no idea why, noticed this yesterday)
    - no stop sign move,
    - Not closing the face early enough (probably due to above)

I'll add some more snaps and gifs of these faults asap

Miles
    Last edited by Miles; December 19th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.

Pulling hands down from top as opposed to just the right elbow.

As promised here are gifs of my main faults. Unfortunately although I feel I've made a mental breakthrough this week at home, I haven't been able to get on the course due to horrendous weather.

Strange hand movements coming into impact - it looks like I go from a flat wrist to an excessively cupped wrist in order to reach the ball due to a deadly combo of sliding and no LB;
    Last edited by Miles; December 21st, 2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

Poor backswing due to head moving left and forward. This means I'm partially left loaded and I can't do any of the correct moves from this position.
    Last edited by Miles; December 21st, 2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

Great swing journal there Miles.

I noticed a ton of improvement over the space of a few months. In the beginning you had a lot of left loading on the B/S and a noticeable jump stall through impact. You seem to have identified the remaining problem areas.

I would point out that you are slightly over the top. Probably because you seem to initiate the downswing with the arms and shoulders. Compare the position of your hands when your lower body has returned to square on the D/S with Woodland and I think you'll see he keeps his hands much further back. I'll defer to Kelvin and others with more knowledge, but I think you are failing to generate the right shoulder retraction micromove, plus, as you noted you are going prematurely into right hip IR.

All in all though, a solid looking swing.

Thanks for your response, I agree that I'm failing to properly execute the right shoulder retraction micromove, I'll add that to the list. Although looking at January's swing again has made me realize that I've have come along way this year, I can help but feel deflated at the lack of progress throughout the second half (wasn't through lack of effort I can tell you). I've decided to change my methods. Before I would analyse my faults, write them down and head to range to try and add new moves. The problem with this is because I was doing this whilst hitting balls I wasn't fully focusing on the correct new moves. As Rich noted in his journal he saw the most improvement through deep practice of the specific moves in slow motion. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now and hope that this will yield better results. Time, and video will tell.

Miles

In regards to basing my swing on a combo of Gary Woodland and Tiger 2000 I've decided from further reading and viewing of Kelvin's videos that Tiger's more upright 2 plane backswing is the one to follow. Jeffy has also done the same and I agree from practicing this at home that it's easier to add more of the correct micro moves from this position as opposed to Gary's.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    Great swing journal there Miles.

I noticed a ton of improvement over the space of a few months. In the beginning you had a lot of left loading on the B/S and a noticeable jump stall through impact. You seem to have identified the remaining problem areas.

I would point out that you are slightly over the top. Probably because you seem to initiate the downswing with the arms and shoulders. Compare the position of your hands when your lower body has returned to square on the D/S with Woodland and I think you'll see he keeps his hands much further back. I'll defer to Kelvin and others with more knowledge, but I think you are failing to generate the right shoulder retraction micromove, plus, as you noted you are going prematurely into right hip IR.

All in all though, a solid looking swing.
    Very good analysis by AAA of the changes that Miles has been making in his swing. In his old swings, he was a huge left-leaner like me on the backswing. Led to disaster for me. Nice to see that Miles has succeeded in adding spine tilt / lateral bend to his swing. I've added a lot of that to my driver. A little tougher adding that to my irons but I'm making progress.

January Update

Well, I managed to get to the range for the first time since the 10th of December. Here are some gifs of specific movements I worked on;

Elbow move;
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psb206eb85.gif
    More upright backswing;
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps19ed9618.gif
    Not dropping Hands from top;
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps7bef5c11.gif
    Right side Loading;
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psf8a2c2dc.gif
    Head further behind ball;
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps26124a16.gif

Photobucket seems to be shrinking these gifs

My arm movements, hips and lower body are still horrific even though I've been working on them at home. Seems when there's a ball in front of me I revert to old habits.

However, there were a few bits where I feel I made progress, slowly does it.

Miles
    Last edited by Miles; January 4th, 2013 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Failure

Hmmmn, need to figure out how to upload gifs correctly. Here's the youtube clip of the moves I was working on;

Miles

Right, I've had amore time to look at these recent swings now. One thing I'm pleased with is the focus of 'keeping my head back' has reduced my slide. Also comparing my swing with FO vids of Woodland he seems to have a comparable amount of slide off the ball and into impact. Here are some stills to show this. Hope Kelvin doesn't mind me posting these stills of his Student John Oda but it's one of my 'go to' vids as it was filmed using a tripod so a nice steady shot.
    John Oda
    Name:  John Oda FO left hip.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  54.2 KB
    Before
    Name:  Amount of lateral slide FO swing 3.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  51.2 KB
    After
    Name:  Amount of lateral slide FO swing 2.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  45.4 KB

Forgot to save the Woodland stills

Miles

Range session

Went to the range today with the main focus being;

Improving takeaway/backswing,
    Improving hips at transition (specifically dual ER)
    Improving lateral bend

Here I am warming up on the chipping green trying to work on the backswing. Much improved. Club isn't as low and back as it was before. (the feeling is like casting a fishing rod up rather than rolling my hands over)

Then I focused on my hip's with a resistance band around my thighs;

Then I removed the resistance band;

Now, lateral bend was ridiculously hard to improve, I did manage to reduce some of my over-the-top-right-shoulder-ness but couldn't increase it drastically. Even when I feel and try to lower my neck on the downswing it doesn't do so until after impact.
    Elbow move - I did try but this is going to take serious work. As you can see from my videos currently I cup the left wrist going into impact and swing left, not intentionally mind you. I feel that in order to improve this I need to get my right elbow lower along with more lb so I'm nearer to the ball. I also think I need to extend my left arm further from my body and nearer to the ball whilst increasing the amount of ud. Currently there's no ud.

Miles

Spent some time analysing some of my recent swings on V1 today. Some improvements hidden in there as well as numerous faults;
    Right leg extension in b/s
    Name:  9-1-13-Rightlegextensionbackswing_zpsaa858685.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  48.5 KB
    Trunk balance (much less of a forward drop than before)
    Name:  9-1-13-Trunkbalancetopofbackswing_zpsaf944a6d.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  47.9 KB
    Impact - better rotation, but hands return to original address position and too little sternum rotation and lb
    Name:  9-1-13-ImpactPosition_zpsea1c1b77.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  46.6 KB

The pro's lateral bend at transition vs mine (taken from youtube, some video's are Jeffy's and others Kelvin's, hope you don't mind me using them.)
    Name:  9-1-13-Amountoflateralbendandspinedrop_zps69e95db0.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  44.8 KB
    Name:  Amountoflateralbendandspinedrop-LucasWald_zpsd1b30ff2.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  44.8 KB
    Name:  Amountoflateralbendandspinedrop-DustinJohnson_zps4c3320f6.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  61.1 KB
    Name:  Amountoflateralbendandspinedrop-JohnOda_zps502d15a0.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  54.7 KB
    Name:  Amountoflateralbendandspinedrop-GaryWoodlandiron_zpsd97d6113.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  51.7 KB
    Name:  Amountoflateralbendandspinedrop-GaryWoodland_zps3079cf28.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  49.3 KB

I'm nowhere near the same amounts as them however I have increased it a little.

Miles

Miles, You're pretty hard on yourself. I think your swing is looking very good. You've clearly worked hard and made significant strides.

One thing I have been working on myself might help you. If you look at the right wrist bend in the elite swings you posted, they appear to have somewhat more bend, ie extension, in transition that you do. For me, a key swing thought is to get that wrist extension and hold it into the "right elbow move", ie the point where your right elbow is opposite your right hip. The guy who really does this is Tommy Two Gloves. It's hard to do because it feels weak, like you're not releasing the club. I am still a little confused because I lose clubhead speed on the radar device when I do this, but I hit the ball longer.