Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Miles Swing Journal

Me again..............at my most recent range session I worked on the following and am quite chuffed with the results;

Getting hands further ahead of the body and much earlier, with a better elbow move

With UD

This is trying to keep my hands high and rotate, struck it solid but was hitting pulls......

Also worked on trying to get rid of the dreaded upmove at transition, it looks far too deliberate but it's better; (really like this particular swing, I look a lot more powerful)

Not bad, left wrist is still cupping excessively and there's lots work to be done but a little progress has been made..........

Hi, I'm back. Due to work commitments and spending far too much time on the course I took a long break from Golf (a little shy of three years). I still followed Kelvin's articles but didn't hit a ball till Feb this year. Since then I've changed the approach slightly. Whilst at the range I would always revert to old habits so this time round I'm only hitting airflow balls till I have the correct movements in place. Once these are better I'll progress back to the range. I've drastically reduced the slide since Feb but I still don't sequence correctly at transition and still jump at that moment.

So, today I spent a few hours just going to the top and trying to figure out ways to initiate the downswing. I found that if I peeled away my whole left side whilst using every ounce of effort I could muster to resist this motion with my right side I could initiate the sequence correctly. Below are three vids to show you where I'm at. At the moment I'm not hitting the ball well at all but I'm starting to see an improvement in positions. I'm sure being able to hit the ball will come again with practise!

The drill I use a lot;

FO;

DL;

Big thanks to Andre, this video is brilliant and although I've not mastered this yet it's helped greatly!

I"m delighted to be back,

Miles

After watching Victor Rodriguez's video's yesterday I tried a few different things on the backswing tonight. Feels much better. Thanks Victor!

More slow motion work:

This is what I was focusing on;

B/S
    * Standing up on Right leg
    * Biggest Turn Possible
    * Left Leg IR at end of Motion
    * High R/S, Low L/S

D/S
    * Sitting down with left Glute
    * Turning head to target
    * Elbow Move
    * Pulling with L/S

Still more work needed. I need to straighten the left arm and increase APT at transition. Still struggling to sequence correctly at transition too. Any drills/tips would be great.

Thanks,

Miles

Reviewing the videos last night I felt like I needed more LPT and less R leg ER on the BS...So tried again this morning.

A sketch to describe how LPT feels to me:

Name:  Lpt.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  131.7 KB

On Sunday I got some impact work done;

It's better, much better in fact. I could still do with some more supination of the the left wrist though.

I'm going to try and piece all the moves together this week and slowly ramp up the speed...

Miles

So, recently I’ve been focusing on trying to practice at full speed as well as slow. In the past it’s only been the latter to the detriment of my progress.

These recent videos show me addressing my most persistent problem, the rise at the beginning of the downswing. This isn’t pronounced in my slow speed practise swings but appears in the faster versions. In trying to load the left side early in the downswing I physically jump from the right toe to the left heel. At faster speeds this results in two specific up moves within the downswing alone – not at all good for rotation and club speed!

I’ve thought long and hard about what was causing this and believe it’s mainly led by the following three faults;

Lack of APT at transition
    Not rotating correctly with the right hip on the B/S
    Not letting the left hip I/R at all during the B/S

This has led to a slide and stuck position (with relation to the lower half) that’s similar to a reverse pivot. The only way to escape this was a jump to get on to the left side. Also, my weight would sit inside the right heel on the backswing meaning that the right leg wanted to fire hard from transition.

I’ve noticed that rotating more with the lower body, increasing the height of my left hip, and allowing I/R of the left hip on the backswing have all helped massively. From this base I simply initiate APT and dual E/R at transition which creates a natural squat and seems to engage the spine engine. It’s important though not to let the focus of Dual E/R create a slide to the left. The sacrum should pull back in relation to the ball and also away from the target. This way the left knee never moves nearer to the target which seems to induce a slide.

Here are the vids:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBmPe-hZkQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZCREF6xes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGda-3cms24