Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trackman newsletter #9, January 2013

Trackman newsletter #9, January 2013

Now, is this a coincidence????? First newsletter since June 2011, btw.

Name:  trackman.PNG
Views: 1513
Size:  845.6 KB

http://www.trackman.dk/download/news...ewsletter9.pdf

BTW, it includes a good summary of the technical issues involved in the Phantom testing.

Jeff

Definitely not.

Interesting that they are adding in spin due to Rate of Closure. Kelvin and you can be thanked for that. Also note that RoC contributes to slice spin, as I posted earlier, and Kelvin and you disagreed. Kelvin's "Bumble Bee" article needs some updating.

http://jeffygolf.com/showthread.php?...e-vs-Face-Path

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Interesting that they are adding in spin due to Rate of Closure. Kelvin and you can be thanked for that. Also note that RoC contributes to slice spin, as I posted earlier, and Kelvin and you disagreed. Kelvin's "Bumble Bee" article needs some updating.

Ha missed that whole discussion, which was solid.

The disussion at the bottom of page 7 is so interesting, I swear had a similar short conversation with Kelvin when we were discussing the ball-club face collision/rate of closure last month.

So, what's wrong with one camera???

"an" is singular, last time I checked. Sauce for the goose...

Name:  trackman 2.PNG
Views: 1316
Size:  441.6 KB

Obviously, multiple cameras are better, but, alas...

Jeff

Its amazing isnt it, why on earth is it bad to try and get the best possible information, its mind numbing really.

Just a question

Say you hit it right on the button , cog etc line up , and zero out a straight ball.

Which one would have more fade / draw bias ? A slow Roc or high Roc?

slow rate

So although they don't come out and say it this way, what they are really saying is that closure rate mitigates gear effect. IOW, pretty much exactly what Kelvin has been arguing for months.

Taken one step further, it confirms the desirablility of a strong grip and shut face at the top, which typically correlate with a slow closure rate. You take the extra variable out of play, or at least diminish it's effect.

Quote Originally Posted by dooku View Post
    Just a question

Say you hit it right on the button , cog etc line up , and zero out a straight ball.

Which one would have more fade / draw bias ? A slow Roc or high Roc?
    They say there are three things that infuence spin axis, D-plane, gear effect and ROC. Gear effect is created by off center impact. A toe hit would create hook spin via gear effect. They posit that a higher ROC contributes fade bias, in effect counteracting the gear effect.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    So although they don't come out and say it this way, what they are really saying is that closure rate mitigates gear effect. IOW, pretty much exactly what Kelvin has been arguing for months.

Taken one step further, it confirms the desirablility of a strong grip and shut face at the top, which typically correlate with a slow closure rate. You take the extra variable out of play, or at least diminish it's effect.
    Thats my read, its part of the stuff I worked on with a MORAD based instructor (strong grip, CP), though at the time the actual physics, dynamics, were not understood.

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post

I had some conceptual difficulty with your earlier posts on this subject. Armed with the Trackman article, I went back and reread them and you were spot on correct. I also agree with your argument that using ROC to fight a hook is problematic.

AJ Bonner may have to go back and rethink his magic move. LOL.

News from the PGA show...

Richie Hunt is at the PGA merchandise show and posted this over at Jeff Mann's site:

I was told by 4 different people strongly affiliated with Trackman that the newsletter was in direct response to Jeff Martin and Kelvin Miyahira's work.

I just laughed out loud. I invited them to stop by and observe (several times), but they declined (the head of Trackman tech support, Kevin Noble, is based in Phoenix and was in town that week). Now they are publishing a newsletter attempting to discredit testing done in their own backyard that they were invited to attend but didn't? How lame is that. Like many, I had assumed the newsletter was primarily directed at Flightscope's Phantom AoA test data, which is very damning, but I guess not...

Jeff