Thread: High Speed Camera Recommendations

High Speed Camera Recommendations

I'm looking to change from my Sony SR10 to a new high speed camera. I know Casio is the popular choice and I am considering either the EX-ZR700 or EX-ZR1000. If anyone has one of these cameras, or a similar camera made by Casio, what has your experience been with them? I've run into a problem with other cameras where capturing swings in high speed really require you to have someone with you when you are filming and that isn't something I can do. So I am particularly concerned about the amount of swings you can record per file at high speeds, how large of a memory card you need to record a practice session, and whether the low resolution has been a problem for anyone. As always, your help is appreciated.

I would advise against the latest Casio models since they do not have manual shutter speed.

The main models to look for are the Casio EX-F1 (top of the line, very expensive)

And then the Casio EX-FH20 or the Casio EX-FH25. You will have to get these used/refurbished. I've had mine for 3+ years and I don't take super care of it and it still works great. I recommend looking for these on Ebay. The EX-F1 is the very best of the best, but it is also very $$$, even used.

I've never had a problem with the low resolution on my camera since you have so many settings you can use to alter the camera. What I have found is that with the EX-FH20 (the model I have) is that you have to get the camera setup fairly close to where you are. Probably about 6-8 feet away for the best view.

As far as the # of swings, it depends on the memory card. I have a standard size memory card and it can probably hold up to about 8-10 swings filmed on high-speed.

3JACK

GolfsNotHard,

You really should follow Richie3Jack's advice on this. I'm not sure there's anyone else out there who knows more about which cameras are best for practice than Richie. Maybe Kelvin. Maybe.

The manual shutter speed is a serious issue. Pretty stupid actually. Any other brands address this or are all of them equally lost on this issue now?

They are all lost on this issue. I seriously don't know what Casio is thinking.

I looked on eBay, the FH-20 and FH-25's are not too badly priced ($280-$400). You're looking for about $500-$600 for the FH-100. And about $800+ for the EX-F1.

3JACK

The FH-100 was like $300 new if I recall.

The FH-20 and FH-25 use AA batteries and I've heard that battery life is a serious issue for them. Also, they are pretty bulky because of their larger zoom lens (EX-F1 size.) I bought an FH-100 off e-Bay for $400 about 3 months ago. If you are patient, you can find them for that price. Mine came from Japan and I've had no issues with it ... its like new. It has a rechargeable battery and I can record about 100, 1-minute golf videos from it before needing a recharge, which is more than adequate for my needs. The FH-100 also has the smaller lens making it point-and-shoot size, which is very small, light and portable. All-in-all I would highly recommend it.

DON'T confuse it with the FC-100 which does not have manual shutter settings.

The FH-20, FH-25, and FH-100 all have the same frame rates and resolution. The EX-F1 has higher frame rates and higher resolution at high speed, so if you can swing the $$$, and don't mind the bulk, I would go for that model. Second choice would be the FH-100.

Yes, the F-1, FH-20 and FH-25 require AA batteries. I am not an instructor, but I've found them to be fine as far as battery life. You just need to use the lithium ion batteries which last a long time. They are bulky. I dropped my FH-20 on my big right toe, with my shoes on, and it messed up that toe pretty good.

3JACK

Any thoughts on the Sony Action Camera? I tweeted that I was considering replacing my Sony with a Casio and Sony has been tweeting me trying to convince me that the action camera is what I am looking for. They claim 120 fps but they did say it does not have manual shutter speed. This is a giant pain by the way. Shouldn't someone at one of these companies realize this 60 cent change to the camera could open them up to an entire market of golfers? Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfsHard View Post
    Any thoughts on the Sony Action Camera? I tweeted that I was considering replacing my Sony with a Casio and Sony has been tweeting me trying to convince me that the action camera is what I am looking for. They claim 120 fps but they did say it does not have manual shutter speed. This is a giant pain by the way. Shouldn't someone at one of these companies realize this 60 cent change to the camera could open them up to an entire market of golfers? Just saying.

That isn't what you need. You want at least 200fps and manual shutter speed. Sorry!

Jeff

Hi gents,

I just got my new Casio Ex-F1 and i tried to record couple of swing videos today, the results are not the best because i dont know how to get the maximum of hte camera.

I would like to know from people who own a Casio or know about these cameras which is the best option or configuration for the Ex-F1 to record high quality slow motion videos.

If you can attach images or video tutorial it will be really appreciatted and helpfull not only for me, also for other owners of Casio who want to know more about the camera.

Thank you very much and drive/hold it.

Fabian Lozano
    The worst blind person is who refuses to see.

If anyone is interested there's an FH100 on ebay uk at the moment on a buy it now for 250. These are quite rare. No mention of international shipping but the seller may be open to negotiation. (Saw an fh20 go for 27 this week!!! Bet the seller wishes they hadn't listed it as "collection only")

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian Lozano View Post
    Hi gents,

I just got my new Casio Ex-F1 and i tried to record couple of swing videos today, the results are not the best because i dont know how to get the maximum of hte camera.

I would like to know from people who own a Casio or know about these cameras which is the best option or configuration for the Ex-F1 to record high quality slow motion videos.

If you can attach images or video tutorial it will be really appreciatted and helpfull not only for me, also for other owners of Casio who want to know more about the camera.

Thank you very much and drive/hold it.

Fabian Lozano

Best results are when it's overcast or the player is facing the sun. Unfortunately, at both the Randall's Island driving range and the range at my club, Black Oak in New Jersey, the sun is behind me. What I do in those instances is point the camera at the ground and start recording. Usually that works pretty well to get the light balance right. You can use the backlight feature (along the left side of the lens) or the exposure value function ("EV") on the main menu to tinker with exposure.

Obviously, you need to be in "HS" mode, set the ring on the top right to "S" (shutter priority) and use a shutter speed of at least 1/2000th of a second. If you are recording yourself, you'll need to use the manual focus, because auto focus does not work in HS mode once recording has started. That means you have to stand with the camera where you will be swinging, then manually focus on the tripod. The manual focus will be saved so you won't need to refocus for each subsequent recording.

Jeff

When applied to filming golf swings, are there any differences in operation or performance between the fh20 and fh25?

Just a FYI for any Aussie readers here, there's a used FH-100 on ebay this week starting at $199. Very rare to see these come up.