Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions for Duffey

Mike Duffey Guest
    Kelvin,
    Before we move on, let's hear your response to your own question - I'll rephrase it slightly given your follow up responses.

Are you saying that pelvis rotation is caused by movement of the spine (Lateral flexion and lumbar extension), and that the muscles that cross the hip joint do not play a role (at least for pelvis axial rotation)?

If you'll read more carefully, I said there were two ways the pelvis can rotate. One was by the spinal engine and the other by the leg/hip movements which I said I have written extensively about.

And while we're on the subject, since you know that these leg/hip movement can create pelvis axial rotation, how many of these biomechanical systems like AMM/TPI, GBD, Qualysis, KVest, Kwon3D are measuring hip ER, IR, adduction and abduction?

Mike Duffey Guest
    That should be all except K-Vest.

Mike Duffey Guest
    Kelvin, you wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    What muscles cause the pelvis to rotate?
    To which I said [paraphrasing here] the complete answer would be complex and long. You then wrote:

We've got the most intelligent and knowledgeable readership on this forum. Many of us have been there done that. So we know truth vs. marketing or plain BS. Pelvic rotation can come from direct muscle contractions and from indirect movements of the hip/legs which I have written extensively about. The answer I was looking for pertains to the first method and requires only citation of a certain Russian nuclear physicist and his theory of human locomotion. It would take 10 seconds if you knew the answer.
    I'm not sure if you are saying that I am marketing something (I'm obviously not), or bullshitting (also not). The answer to your question "what muscles cause the pelvis to rotate?" is long and complex. It does not take 10 seconds - your answer, which lists zero of the roughly 20 muscles that cross the hip and directly create hip rotation and probably at least 30-40 that will be involved in that motion- is a quite general answer to a somewhat different question.

Getting to my point:
    You mention that you have an intelligent and knowledgeable readership, so far, my experience confirms that. So please don't waste their time, my time, and probably your own time asking vague and open ended questions that at best require clarification. This request was made by one of your readers before and I echo it now. You wrote that "the answer [you were] looking for was..."; so clearly you were looking for something. If you are looking to discuss something specific, please address it directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duffey View Post
    That should be all except K-Vest.
    Show us the graphs of the hip and femur movements of the best player you have.

What is the right trail hip movement sequence of a tour player? Tell us what movements the movements are in the backswing and downswing. And don't tell us it will take 6 hours. I think all of us here would like to know how much you know about the golf swing. So answer this and we're done with the questions. Get your graphs out and tell us what's going on in a very simple way.

Could you tell us why you need to be here? If you don't like answering questions, then you can leave.

Hi Mike,

Not Kelvin but I for one am keen to know these muscles. I find it helpful in teaching someone specific movements when one is able to help identify the responsible muscles or muscular region versus giving vague instructions.

I think its great that you have chosen to come over to our little community where truth always trumps fiction. I can safely say that unlike the Chertock forum from where this began, all concepts here are open to being challenged. Afterall, when you are spending your own hard earned cash on lessons, might as well ensure you are being taught right.

Kelvin,
    It is a nice question, but the real answer can not be given here. That particular movement is pretty complex - almost certainly it is a combination of femoral external rotation on one side and internal rotation on the other, so you have almost opposite muscle groups acting from one side to another. In addition, we don't have many muscles that create a pure rotation, for example, the gluteus maximus acts to externally rotate the femur, but it also also acts as a powerful hip extensor (its better known function), so that action must be coupled with a hip flexor.

The answer would be a nice, first year PT graduate student presentation that would likely take an hour or two if done well.
    Okay, so you don't know much this and think it's beneath you to understand and learn this. So how's your first year PT student coming along with the presentation?

Mike Duffey Guest
    Kelvin,
    Please show me anywhere ever that I wrote that (or anything else) was beneath me. How about you make that your next post...

We can read between the lines. Are we stupid?

Kelvin,
    Please show me anywhere ever that I wrote that (or anything else) was beneath me. How about you make that your next post...
    How about answering in your next post Kelvin's questions posed in posts #21 and #22:

Show us the graphs of the hip and femur movements of the best player you have.
    What is the right trail hip movement sequence of a tour player? Tell us what the movements are in the backswing and downswing.

Jeff

Mike Duffey Guest
    Kelvin,
    If you asked me the reproductive rates of brown trout versus rainbow trout, I would tell you that I don't know, but it would be a good question for a Wildlife & Fishery science major.

That is not an insult to Wildlife & Fishery majors (we happen to have a good program here). To say something is a good project for a graduate student in a program is probably a complement, or at least a comment that implies that advanced understanding and thinking is involved. I think it is a strong question to which I do not have the full answer. Justin seems to agree that it is a good question.

So, you then asked:

We can read between the lines. Are we stupid?
    Well, I don't know who "we" are since you are the only one posting the comment. However, I see four options:
    1. You believe that everyone should know everything, and to say that something would be better answered by someone else is somehow flawed.
    I don't think this is reasonable.
    2. You feel that Physical Therapy is a demeaning profession.
    I think it can be a great profession that helps lots of people. I'm friends with and work with some very bright PTs.
    3. You choose to misrepresent what people write.
    You seem to be heading down this path, but I hope it is not the case.
    4. You don't understand what was actually written.
    If this is the case, I will leave the answer to your posted question up to you.

Just out of curiosity Mike, what software do you use and can it be freely purchased by golf academies?

Mike Duffey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tang View Post
    Just out of curiosity Mike, what software do you use and can it be freely purchased by golf academies?
    We use Qualisys cameras and their capture software (QTM).
    We have worked with Qualisys and Visual 3D (C-Motion) to develop a golf specific analysis package. The golf package (possibly called golf module) is available for purchase, I believe. Dan India is the Qualisys sales director for North America and could tell you more.

If you have questions about the methods of collection or the information presented in the reports, just let me know.