Thread: Dan Swing Journal

Dan Swing Journal

Hello all! I am new to the site as a member but have been studying Kelvin's work for almost a year now. Here is a video of my swing. I apologize in advance for the low frames per second, I'm only able to use my cell phone camera and the cover head being slightly in the way, definitely won't let that happen again!

http://youtu.be/MsTTj9Lnlhw

I've been working hard on left arm internal rotation/right arm external rotation for quite some time now. The lower body movements came pretty easy for me in the beginning.

I think that my release is a little awkward and it shows in my results as I am constantly fighting a hook. I think I need to release left forearm supination earlier after impact to create more ulnar deviation to get the club moving left? Please correct me if I'm wrong here. All feedback/criticism is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Fine looking swing. Was the camera position a bit off? ie not perpendicular to target line and even with the ball--- seems a bit back

Was the first shot a hook?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
    Hello all! I am new to the site as a member but have been studying Kelvin's work for almost a year now. Here is a video of my swing. I apologize in advance for the low frames per second, I'm only able to use my cell phone camera and the cover head being slightly in the way, definitely won't let that happen again!

http://youtu.be/MsTTj9Lnlhw

I've been working hard on left arm internal rotation/right arm external rotation for quite some time now. The lower body movements came pretty easy for me in the beginning.

I think that my release is a little awkward and it shows in my results as I am constantly fighting a hook. I think I need to release left forearm supination earlier after impact to create more ulnar deviation to get the club moving left? Please correct me if I'm wrong here. All feedback/criticism is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Even with the cell phone video, you can see a lot of good work!

Generally, elements that "fight the hook" would move the path left and slow clubface closing. As you mentioned, your left wrist is pretty flat at the finish, so you didn't extend the left wrist much; extending the left wrist should slow the closing, particularly if you focus on pronating the left arm in the follow-through. Ulnar deviation is a separate movement, the uncocking of the wrists, and that should send the path to the left. Try to get your left wrist cupped and right wrist arched like Hogan's:

Name:  arch.PNG
Views: 621
Size:  222.4 KB

It also seems to me that you stall the hips: they seem to turn and rise up, without any left pelvic tilt, then stop. Fuller hip rotation will also send the path left.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Scott-

Yeah I guess the camera angle was a little off. To clarify, the first swing was only done at 50% speed, I was attempting to swing slowly to really feel and ingrain the motions I was trying to work on (L arm internal rotation/R arm external rotation). The ball I think went maybe 60 yards and only head high lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
    Even with the cell phone video, you can see a lot of good work!

Generally, elements that "fight the hook" would move the path left and slow clubface closing. As you mentioned, your left wrist is pretty flat at the finish, so you didn't extend the left wrist much; extending the left wrist should slow the closing, particularly if you focus on pronating the left arm in the follow-through. Ulnar deviation is a separate movement, the uncocking of the wrists, and that should send the path to the left. Try to get your left wrist cupped and right wrist arched like Hogan's:

Name:  arch.PNG
Views: 621
Size:  222.4 KB

It also seems to me that you stall the hips: they seem to turn and rise up, without any left pelvic tilt, then stop. Fuller hip rotation will also send the path left.

Hope that helps!

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff, what your saying makes sense and the Hogan picture really helps. I've compared it to some of the DTL swings I have and I'm no where close! Would Dustin Johnson also be another good example of good left wrist extension and left arm pronation in the follow-through?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
    Scott-

Yeah I guess the camera angle was a little off. To clarify, the first swing was only done at 50% speed, I was attempting to swing slowly to really feel and ingrain the motions I was trying to work on (L arm internal rotation/R arm external rotation). The ball I think went maybe 60 yards and only head high lol.

Thanks Jeff, what your saying makes sense and the Hogan picture really helps. I've compared it to some of the DTL swings I have and I'm no where close! Would Dustin Johnson also be another good example of good left wrist extension and left arm pronation in the follow-through?

I could be wrong, but I think DJ favors a draw. Someone like Bubba who fades a lot might be a better model.

Jeff

Latest update:

https://youtu.be/OQCrF7_b0A8

I've only recently started to practice again after being away from the game for over a year now.

Still recording from my phone so the video is really low quality.

I think I've worked out my hip sequencing from last year. I'm getting in to dual IR on the back swing and then a little dual ER in transition and then extending the left leg and float/rotating well. Something to always keep an eye on though.

I had problems with this before but I can't seem to get a big right elbow move in transition. You can see it better from down the line but I think I go right shoulder IR and then save it on the way down with some late ER. This can be seen down the line better as I get the shaft really steep to start the downswing and then flatten it out with some RS ER and drive the elbow in front of my right hip. I'll post a video soon of that.

Consequently I cannot bow the left wrist without hooking off the planet. I think I have a slight underflip and occasional roll. I think my right wrist is "rolling" over too quickly instead of "holding" through. Pretty hard to see with the camera quality I have but my misses are typically high, spinning shots going left..

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks

Driver swing DTL taken today. Again with my cell phone but it was a clear day so you can see the club face fairly well.

I've been trying to get more of a right elbow/lateral bend move during transition. I'm striving to a have a move similar to lucas glover, JB, and DJ. I've been rehearsing the elbow move in slow motion in front of mirrors and windows and I can see some progress but it can of course get better. Lower body movement looks good to me.

Does anyone think I stand too tall? Maybe some more knee flex and bending at the waist possibly?

This shot was a slight toe hit and consequentially went a little too far left.

https://youtu.be/dSApz3b7jGo

Thanks for your feedback.