Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: 13 year old Tom Parker developing his swing

  1. #1

    13 year old Tom Parker developing his swing

    I have been working with Tom for 9 months now and he is developing some good movements. He is relatively small for his age and, pound for pound, hits it very long for his size


    Lordosis, lateral bend and tail bone moving away from the target on the downswing


    Club face moving from closed to open thanks to left wrist flexion/ supination pre-impact, to extension/ pronation post impact. Have a look at the face after impact when it comes out above the left shoulder: THIS KID HITS IT STRAIGHT!!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,096
    Nice!

    Kid has a great game face, as well!!!


    Name:  stare.PNG
Views: 882
Size:  976.1 KB




    Jeff

  3. #3
    Lloyd Higley Guest
    Thats a hell of a good swing you are coaching him on Andrevs.....

  4. #4
    release is impressive
    good thing is once he gets it in a few month he won't have to work that hard on ballstriking anymore

  5. #5
    quickie andre,
    from a few swing reviews you shared i tend to see flat to bowed left wrist at the top and increasing during the downswing. did they have it bowed naturally or does it have to happen cause your students do not have that strong a grip and you teach them to bow the heck out of it ?

    for example, lucas students tend to have more extreme strong grips and his students can have a cupped the left wrist all the way

    what is your position ?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    quickie andre,
    from a few swing reviews you shared i tend to see flat to bowed left wrist at the top and increasing during the downswing. did they have it bowed naturally or does it have to happen cause your students do not have that strong a grip and you teach them to bow the heck out of it ?

    for example, lucas students tend to have more extreme strong grips and his students can have a cupped the left wrist all the way

    what is your position ?
    With Tom I actually strengthened his grip at our very first lesson. The bowing in his wrist now is natural and I haven't had to "work" it in. All I did do was show him the difference between the different releases and why the drive/hold is the best. I would prefer my students to have stronger grips but also feel that I can teach them the correct movements to match their grips if they are a little weaker. I have a limit as to how weak the grip can be though, which in my mind would be a "standard strong grip".
    Basically, I try to match the players release with their grips. The one release I am less confident teaching is the knife edge release.
    Lastly, some of the students that started with me as beginners do have stronger grips than students that came to me when they were already single figure handicaps.
    Great observations, thanks Robin!

  7. #7
    I love this swing but man is that right elbow behind his head. It's like he is stuck but turns and bends so much that he actually isn't. What I'm saying is that most golfers. Even good ones would be stuck from that top position I believe. When he gets older he may not be able to get it in front as well. Not sure. But if it's not broke ....

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Hooper View Post
    I love this swing but man is that right elbow behind his head. It's like he is stuck but turns and bends so much that he actually isn't. What I'm saying is that most golfers. Even good ones would be stuck from that top position I believe. When he gets older he may not be able to get it in front as well. Not sure. But if it's not broke ....
    Grant,
    That is exactly what we have been working on the past 3 weeks or so: less abduction of the humerus on the backswing. Students often feel that it is less powerful and find it to be one of the more difficult changes to work on. Once they see that they often hit it longer, they start trusting it more.

    You're onto it mate

  9. #9
    it reminds me of my swing of the winter. except better.

    whats a humerous? .... so wait.... im just not supposed to let this humor thing get to high? i thought you wanted the arms high like lucas and sadlowski?

  10. #10
    btw andre.... your post above explained the bowed wrists in your students.... your not comfortable knife edge.... which means you stray from the 4 knuckle grips that lucas teaches. that makes sense. 2 1/2 knuckle grip will have a lot more bowing. why are you less comfortable with knife edge? .... does it have anything to do with the fact its sort of hard to judge face on impact....because your looking at a cupped wrist (weird right?), and, with me at least, (and jaime), a chicken wing too???

    it looks ugly, dont it?
    i alternate between 3 and 4 knuckles depending on the day of the week. my name is grant. i swing 100 different ways and they all shoot 81.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Hooper View Post
    my name is grant. i swing 100 different ways and they all shoot 81.
    Good one

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Hooper View Post

    whats a humerous? .... so wait.... im just not supposed to let this humor thing get to high? i thought you wanted the arms high like lucas and sadlowski?

    Now you are being disrespectful. It is spelled humerus and it is the upper arm. It is basic anatomy, which you need to learn if you are going to continue posting here; Wikipedia is perfect for that.

    I already told you where the humerus needs to be in order to keep it from getting behind you (that movement away from the body is called abduction; look it up) and posted this picture of Nicklaus and an explanation (if you don't know what the clavicle is, look it up).

    "Jack Nicklaus shows how to keep the right arm in front of the body with a very high right elbow: don't let the humerus get in line with or behind the clavicle."

    Name:  jack.PNG
Views: 637
Size:  274.7 KB


    I don't want you cluttering up the forum asking the same questions over and over, not paying attention to the answers and not doing your homework. We aren't here to spoon-feed you stuff you already claim to know or can easily learn on your own.



    Jeff

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
    Now you are being disrespectful. It is spelled humerus and it is the upper arm. It is basic anatomy, which you need to learn if you are going to continue posting here; Wikipedia is perfect for that.

    I already told you where the humerus needs to be in order to keep it from getting behind you (that movement away from the body is called abduction; look it up) and posted this picture of Nicklaus and an explanation (if you don't know what the clavicle is, look it up).

    "Jack Nicklaus shows how to keep the right arm in front of the body with a very high right elbow: don't let the humerus get in line with or behind the clavicle."

    Name:  jack.PNG
Views: 637
Size:  274.7 KB


    I don't want you cluttering up the forum asking the same questions over and over, not paying attention to the answers and not doing your homework. We aren't here to spoon-feed you stuff you already claim to know or can easily learn on your own.

    Jeff
    Jeff,

    Your point about questions Grant can easily find the answers to is well-taken. However, I'm still a fan of Grant's. I think we should welcome his avid participation.......

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,096
    Left-

    Spare the rod, spoil the child...



    Jeff

  15. #15
    Thanks lifter, I appreciate your being nice and always helpful, and thanks for being a fan. But jeffy is right, and if he hadn't mentioned a few things to me, I would have continued to take a lazy approach to my practice and to participating here. It's not fair to everyone else for me to slack on my basic understanding of anatomy terms in a way that leads to questions that take other people's time, that wouldn't have needed to be asked to begin with if I had done the work. There's a line between looking for help, while being willing to work..... and just fishing through 100 different people with the same question, hoping to get an easy "magic" answer that fixes it all. This community has a lot to offer, but I can't just take take take. I need to give. And in order to give, I need to pay more attention to detail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •