Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13 year old Tom Parker developing his swing

Hit a few bumps along the way but getting there slowly. Gone from spine/hip flexion to extension on the takeaway, right arm less "stuck" and higher at the top of the backswing, good spine movements imo and maintained the release pattern of flexion to extension through impact....

Hitting it longer too!

Thanks for posting, Andre!

I am hugely inspired by Tom's ability to bow that left wrist through impact, even with an ultra-strong grip!

Name:  vlcsnap-2014-08-20-22h05m38s132.png
Views: 515
Size:  343.5 KB

Lesson on Monday, liking the body position at impact!

Lloyd Higley Guest
    Great job Pro..

Nice job Andre!

What were you working this time?
    Considering you are not teaching "easy to understand" placebos, how do you teach these movements to a 13 year old kid without getting "boring"?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Palma View Post
    Nice job Andre!

What were you working this time?
    Considering you are not teaching "easy to understand" placebos, how do you teach these movements to a 13 year old kid without getting "boring"?
    I'm always working on the same things with Tom. The main things are strong grip, upload, left wrist flexion to extension, rotating and not sliding, and lateral bend. At this age, seeing top players doing the same things seems to breed confidence in what we're doing. I slowly explained one concept at a time, and now he knows the terms etc. I always explain to him that my job now isn't to change something, but to help him keep things the same, week in week out and month in month out.
    Tom has also now developed his short game swings and knows that they are totally different to the long game. Tom has developed many different release styles for his short game and can hit almost any shot around the greens.

For now I'm patiently waiting for him to grow because I think he is going to hit it long and straight, and have a short game that matches his long game.

Awesome Andre!!

Outstanding!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by andrevs View Post
    I'm always working on the same things with Tom. The main things are strong grip, upload, left wrist flexion to extension, rotating and not sliding, and lateral bend. At this age, seeing top players doing the same things seems to breed confidence in what we're doing. I slowly explained one concept at a time, and now he knows the terms etc. I always explain to him that my job now isn't to change something, but to help him keep things the same, week in week out and month in month out.
    Tom has also now developed his short game swings and knows that they are totally different to the long game. Tom has developed many different release styles for his short game and can hit almost any shot around the greens.

For now I'm patiently waiting for him to grow because I think he is going to hit it long and straight, and have a short game that matches his long game.
    Nothing better than to use the "elites" as role models.
    Just in case, Tom will become the next New Zealander golf star, it's good to know he is vaccinated against the ironic "take it to the next level" disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Palma View Post
    Nothing better than to use the "elites" as role models.
    Just in case, Tom will become the next New Zealander golf star, it's good to know he is vaccinated against the ironic "take it to the next level" disease.
    Much happier with the right arm at the top of the backswing now. Haven't had to make any major changes, more working on consistency of movements and developing his short game. My next step is working on speed, introducing him to the speedchains soon

Lloyd Higley Guest
    Nice work Andre.

Yes, indeedy!

Jeff

Congratulations Andre!

On the iron shot, it seems that the chest is falling a bit toward the ball at the end of the backswing.

I said it just for the sake of the discussion. I'm a great fan of your work and am already sure that you have noticed it since long time and are doing just what is good, at the good time, for your student

I've noticed it, probably because I've seen Lucas' video for Victor Rodriguez' swing. At 3:26, Lucas explains how Jamie stays tall all along the backswing:

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    Congratulations Andre!

On the iron shot, it seems that the chest is falling a bit toward the ball at the end of the backswing.

I said it just for the sake of the discussion. I'm a great fan of your work and am already sure that you have noticed it since long time and are doing just what is good, at the good time, for your student

I've noticed it, probably because I've seen Lucas' video for Victor Rodriguez' swing. At 3:26, Lucas explains how Jamie stays tall all along the backswing:

That is a great observation, thanks Matt! I've been holding off on this one for a while and will get to work on it after his tournament this weekend. I've been using Dustin Johnson as a model for Tom, but I might start using Jaime a bit more from now on.

Btw, I forgot to mention that Tom finished 3rd in the New Zealand under 15 champs a while ago. Only some bad putting on the last 9 of the final round cost him the win. I have plans to bring him and a couple of other players to the world champs in the US next year.